1hr 50min artist-led workshop for KS2 – KS5
In our learning studios, students will make their own unique sketchbooks using a selection of different types of papers.
They will then use their sketchbooks to explore the galleries, filling them in creative ways through a range of guided drawing exercises responding to our exhibitions and the themes within the artworks.
Take back to school
Students will each have their own mini sketchbook made from different types of paper that will have a series of their sketches and drawings in.
£185, 10% discount for Wakefield district schools
Learning outcomes and curriculum links
This workshop inspires and challenges students to experiment with new materials and create their own works of art. They are encouraged to think critically about the art they experience in the galleries, developing their visual language.
Art and Design
- Produce creative work exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in the galleries.
- Experiment with different types of art and materials.
- Use drawing techniques to develop and share their ideas.
- Learn about artist Barbara Hepworth, her importance in history, and make links to their own work.
- Develop vocabulary and visual literacy in response to the artworks they see.
- Articulate opinions on the artworks and convey ideas confidently.
- Participate in collaborative conversations and use discussion in order to learn, elaborating and explaining their understanding and ideas about the artworks and their own creative work.
Art and Design
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in the galleries
- Use a range of techniques and media to record their observations and increase their proficiency in the handling of different materials.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works, using the language of art. Develop critical thinking to analyse their own artwork and that of others.
- Learn about great artist Barbara Hepworth and understand the historical and cultural development of her art form.
- Develop new specialist vocabulary and visual literacy in response to the artworks.
- Use discussion in order to learn; elaborating and explaining clearly their understanding and ideas about the artworks and their own creative work.
- Listening to and building on the contributions of others, asking questions to clarify and inform.