Mixed Media Sculpture
1hr 50min artist-led workshop for KS1 – KS4
Pupils will investigate Barbara Hepworth’s sculptures and explore 2D and 3D in the galleries before making collaborative mixed media sculptures in the learning studios
Pupils will explore the work of Barbara Hepworth in the galleries, looking at sculpture from new perspectives. Using natural objects and Hepworth quotes they will explore her artwork; create collaborative large-scale drawings and investigate 2D-3D with sculptural activities in the galleries.
In the learning studios pupils will make collaborative sculptures using a range of materials including paper, card, string and wire. In small groups, they will explore space and balance, and problem solve ways of manipulating and joining materials to make sculptures that stand.
Pupils will be encouraged to interpret ideas and feelings through 3D, and reflect on the creative process of making their sculptures.
Take back to school
Students will each have a series of drawings from the galleries and collaborative group sculptures. Please bring boxes to transport the work back to school.
£185, 10% discount for Wakefield district schools
Line, Texture, Shape, Form, Sculpture, Two-dimensional, Three-dimensional, Construction, Weight, Balance, Scale
Plus for KS3 + 4: Assemblage, Maquette, Installation, Abstract, Realistic, Representational.
Learning outcomes and curriculum links
This workshop inspires and challenges pupils to experiment with new materials and create their own works of art. They are encouraged to think critically about the art they experience in the galleries, developing their visual language.
Art and Design
- Produce creative work exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in the galleries.
- Experiment with different types of art and materials, including drawing techniques and working with mixed media.
- Use drawing and sculpture techniques to develop and share their ideas.
- Learn about artist Barbara Hepworth, her importance in history, and make links to their own work.
- Develop vocabulary and visual literacy in response to the artworks they see.
- Articulate opinions on the artworks and convey ideas confidently.
- Participate in collaborative conversations and use discussion in order to learn, elaborating and explaining their understanding and ideas about the artworks and their own creative work.
Art and Design
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in the galleries.
- Use a range of techniques and media to record their observations and increase their proficiency in the handling of different materials.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works, using the language of art. Develop critical thinking to analyse their own artwork and that of others.
- Learn about great artist Barbara Hepworth and understand the historical and cultural development of her art form.
Design and Technology
- Learn how to take risks, and be challenged to be resourceful and innovative to identify and solve problems.
- Use specialist tools, techniques, processes and equipment.
- Test, evaluate and refine their ideas.
- Develop new specialist vocabulary and visual literacy in response to the artworks.
- Use discussion in order to learn; elaborating and explaining clearly their understanding and ideas about the artworks and their own creative work.
- Listening to and building on the contributions of others, asking questions to clarify and inform.