Figure & Body
2 hour gallery workshop for key stage 3, 4 and 5
Explore the figure in Barbara Hepworth’s work and other artists in the gallery’s collection.
Students will use the workshop to research and explore concepts of the human form through physical movement and mark making, developing their own drawn interpretations.
The workshop also introduces students to our temporary exhibitions, using a diverse range of works on display to develop their skills in observation and critical thinking.
Work with artist Jo Blaker
Jo is a visual artist with a lifelong passion for play, creativity & learning. Jo’s sessions nurture, develop and celebrate the creative capacity of students whilst supporting participants to learn about themselves, others and the world around them, through art observation and making.
Take back to school
- Students will produce observational recordings of the art work
- Your class will receive a certificate of achievement to display at school
Wakefield schools: £120
Learning outcomes and curriculum impact
Art and design
- First-hand observation of Barbara Hepworth’s artworks
- Explore ideas and imagination using experience of learning outside of the classroom
- Develop understanding of figure and body, contemporary sculpture, artistic process and materials
- Develop drawing techniques and sculpture making skills using a range of techniques and media
- Develop speaking and listening skills by talking confidently in new learning contexts, communicating ideas and critical analyse. Engage in discussion, confidently voice opinions and questions to show understanding
Overview of session
- Gallery 3: students will begin with a making challenge to explore sculpture and representation of the body in Hepworth’s work
- Gallery 5: students will use their own bodies to explore concepts of sculpture while make connections with Hepworth’s artworks
- Activities will include recording observations through drawing and manipulating other materials
- Temporary exhibition: students will investigate the exhibition and make observational 2D and 3D drawings
- Students will share and discuss their observations, ideas and drawings
How can teachers and group leaders help?
Please bring your enthusiasm, be prepared to join in and model good behaviour.
To support activity in the galleries please remind children about our three rules
- no shouting
- no touching
- no running